[linux-dvb] RFC - XML channel listings

As far as I can tell, there is no standard format for storing lists of
satellite channels, so I've been working on an XML-based solution.

I am working on two related formats - one to store the raw information on
channels (i.e. satellite, transponder, frequency, polarity, vpid, apid) and
another to represent how these are shown to the users - i.e. grouping and
ordering of a subset of channels.

An example (listing one TV station with multiple audio streams) is:

<xmlsat>
<location id="0070">
<satellite name="Eutelsat W3" id="EUT0W3">
<transponder name="C9" freq="11387" pol="h" beam="KW">
<channel name="Euronews" pnr="4" sr="27500" fec="5/6" type="tv" ca="0">
<video pid="2221" />
<audio lang="fr" pid="2231" />
<audio lang="en" pid="2232" />
<audio lang="de" pid="2233" />
<audio lang="it" pid="2234" />
<audio lang="es" pid="2235" />
<audio lang="pt" pid="2236 />
<audio lang="en" pid="2237 />
</channel>
</transponder>
</satellite>
</location>
</xmlsat>

As you can tell the (strict) hierarchy of the elements is:

Location (orbital position)
Satellite
Transponder
Channel
Video/Audio pid(s)

I'm only concentrating on digital broadcasts, but the principle could be
applied to analogue broadcasts if there was a reason to.  I've also chosen to
use attributes instead of elements - it seems cleaner to me

The above example is not complete - other information could be stored, for
example: the type of programming, the hours of broadcast for a channel, it's
country of origin, a web address for listings etc.  The principle is that it
stores information about broadcasts, not about your receiver's settings.

I have written a filter (in awk) that processes the HTML files from
www.satcodx.com into this format, and also a C parser (using libxml) that
reads these files from disk to memory.  I'll release these under the GPL if
anyone wants them.

Filters could easily be written to convert channel listings to/from any other
format in common use.  The "pscan" program couldalso usefully be modified to
output listings in this format.

The second issue is how to map this (huge) master list of channels into a
user-defined list of channels in an application like VDR.   My initial
thought is to use another XML file containing lists of channels (just the
satellite and pnr for each channel) arranged into a set of hierarchical
namedgroups, but this issue needs more thought.

Comments are welcome.  Am I wasting my time?

Regards,

Dave Chapman.

---