[linux-dvb] forwarded message from Daniel Schmelzer

    [ Part 1: "Included Message" ]

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:22:43
From: Daniel Schmelzer <dschmelzer@hotmail.com>
To: rjkm@convergence.de
Subject: Re: [linux-dvb] Re: ATSC/DTV question

Hi Ralph, et al.--

>On Dec 30. 1999 David Auld of TeraLogic asked for interested Linux
>developers for the Janus reference design on the Video4linux mailing list.
>I exchanged some mails with him at that time but it was not really
>possible for me to work on a driver lacking US TV reception.
>But they wanted to support Linux driver development. So, I am
>surprised that there is no driver yet.

While I'm certainly not the one with the most access, I haven't heard of a
Linux driver either (I know where I would check first ;-)).  There would be
substantial interest in having this in the circles I run around in.  We
could probably get US testers in numbers, if needed.  Most of the HiPix
owners hang out at
http://www.avsforum.com/ubbcgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Home+Theater+Computers&number=12&DaysPrune=2&LastLogin=

>  > Other substantial designs include Conexant's D-Stream design, which
>strips
>  > all of the hardware decoding in favor of software-only decoding.  I
>think
>  > that it uses a modified 878a chip and DMAs the ATSC stream to memory.
>  > haven't seen any consumer cards based on this yet, if only because few
>  > machines can handle the load on a 1080i stream.
>
>I don't know how close this is to the Conexant design used for DVB
>e.g. on the Pinnacle DVB card. But Pinnacle gave me the email address of a
>contact person at Conexant, even introduced me to him by email. I got
>no reply to my request for information about the tuner, demodulator
>and Fusion878a hardware. Recently, datasheets even for the older chips
>(Bt848, etc.) disappeared from their pages. Don't know what's going on
>there ...
>So, they do not seem to be interested in Linux drivers.

I'm thinking that they use strikingly similar processes.  Just different
tuners and demodulators.

Another open-source project might be hogging your Conexant contact's time on
the Windows side of the equation (although we are focusing more on quality
deinterlacing and scaling based partially on the bttv codebase).  My
apologies. ;-) See the following threads...

http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/4574/175/4976352/ (re DVB-S)
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/4574/2000/10/0/4566559/ (an older
message re a very general discussion of what Conexant is doing on this
regard)

Btw, we also have seen the docs disappearing.  I don't know what kind of
significance to place in it.

>I would be interested in those.

Please provide me with an FTP site in a private e-mail and I will upload 100
MB or so...

Regards--

Dan