[linux-dvb] Re: Tuning/Decoder Problem with version 0.9

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Peter Huecker wrote:

> after the support for the new tuner STVxxx was included  I've
> installed the new CVS drivers. (I've a Hauppage DVB-S with the
> new chipset)
>
> First I've done 'make insmod' => n-tv appeard on the attached TV
>
> I tried the new ntuxzap, but after selecting a channel the TV screen
> turns black and nothing happens anymore.

I've got almost the same problem. 'make insmod' will let the screen
flicker, then the boot message ("(c) convergence integrated media")
appears and while the message is scrolling down I can see n-tv. I then
start tuxzap or ntuxzap and try to switch channels.

Most of the time, this works well but it feels as if switching the
channels slows down the longer the driver has been loaded. Then, suddenly
the screen will go black when I switch to another channel and I can't
switch channels anymore (i.e. I can switch the channel in tuxzap but
nothing happens on the TV screen). I then have to run "make rmmod ; make
insmod" to get a picture again. But this doesn't always bring the card
back to work. Sometimes the screen stays black, sometimes I get no n-tv
picture (just the boot message) and sometimes the card will work again
until it suddenly restarts (? screen goes blank, boot message appears, no
n-tv) while I watch TV.

At first I thought this is a temperature related problem since I installed
Linux on the PC the day before yesterday and left the system running until
I had time to install the DVB driver yesterday evening. I turned the
computer off yesterday evening and today the problem reappeared right
after I booted the system and loaded the driver.

I also tried to record a show wih tuxplayer. I haven't used the dvbdriver
under Linux before (since I have the new Hauppauge card) so I'm probably
doing something wrong: I start tuxzap to select a channel, then stop
tuxzap and start tuxplayer. As soon I start tuxplayer, the picture will
freeze, the sound will go away and if I start a recording, the output file
will remain empty. The sound will come back if I quit tuxplayer but the
image will stay frozen. If I then quit tuxplayer and start tuxzap again, I
can switch channels but the images goes black and I can only hear the
sound of the channel I switch to.

If I can be of any help in this matter I would be glad to help. I've put
together the system to be used as a digital VCR, but this doesn't work yet
because the original Hauppauge software under Windows is pretty useless,
WinDVB2000 doesn't work with the new model (at least I didn't get anything
but the OSD) and Klaus hasn't ported VDR to the new API. So, I have plenty
of time to fool around with the driver ;-)

hh

---