[linux-dvb] Re: Color question

Christian Forster writes:
 > On Friday 06 April 2001 18:40, you wrote:
 > > Christian Forster writes:
 > >  > Iīve been playing around with driver 0.8.2 and the fitting vdr.
 > >  > For me now, it begins to work fine despite the problem of the large
 > >  > files and the missing mpeg2-reencoding tool on linux.
 > >  > I only heard about win tools.
 > >  > So, I got some mpeg2 films from the internet (must be japanese...) which
 > >  > are normally in color.
 > >  > But by playing them with cat > /dev/video only black/white output on my
 > >  > TV is the result.
 > >  > May someone help?? Is there a programme for playing such files,
 > >  > eventually in color?
 > >
 > > No, you'll have to get an NTSC capable TV set.
 > > The problem is that the AV7110 cannot produce PAL60.
 >
 > Could this be solved by reencoding the mpeg file???
 > I thought mpeg hasnīt this PAL/NTSC restrictions any more because its a
 > digital format...
 > I thought its only a difference in size of the video...

Exactly, and the AV7110 cannot scale the vertical resolution from 480
to 576. And at 480 it cannot produce full picture PAL like PAL60 would
be. It should be possible to get a smaller picturem, i.e. the TV
screen would not be completely filled and the aspect ratio would be wrong.
But this is not supported right now.

Ralph

---