[linux-dvb] Re: Using a low-budget card as a secondary card.

Ralph Metzler wrote:

>  > Isn't there some "standard" that says how a multiplexed PS/PES stream
>  > has to be created in order to be replayed without problems? If the
>  > "very long video PES" blocks are conform with the MPEG standard,
>  > why is it so hard to handle them?
>
> With the AV7110 card it is hard to handle them because of the way the video
> ES is extracted from the decoder buffer. There is a queue with PTS and
> length entries in the hardware. Reading of data can only be done when
> the queue pointer jumps to the next slot (when the next PTS comes)
> because before that the length entry of the current slot is not right yet.
> So, if the video PES is very long (which means the time between PTSs
> can be even longer), those video PES are sent very late compared to
> the audio PES and muxing will be even worse than with other channels.
> If you build real-time remuxing into VDR this will of course be no
> problem at all :-)

That's exactly what I am going to do.

What would help here would be some "official" standard text
that describes how exactly two separate video and audio streams
are to be multiplexed. So far it appears to me like remultiplexing
is some sort of "black magic"... ;-)

Is there any document that I could consult regarding this?

Klaus