[linux-dvb] Re: VDR Playback not smooth ?

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:13:40 +0200, Klaus Schmidinger
<Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de> wrote:

> I have already implemented a new ring buffer that uses two separate threads
> (one for filling the buffer and another one for emptying it) in the recording
> facility of VDR and I believe that part works a lot better now.

If have seen some of this code in your distribution but it wasn't
active.

> This new threaded ring buffer will also be used in the replay facility later,
> but I wanted to complete the new API adaptation first. So I suggest we
> concentrate on making VDR run with the new API for now, and once that works
> I'll switch replaying to the new ring buffer.

I agree with you here. Go for the new API first and then we can do
further improvements on this base. I just wanted to counter your
statement regarding the cause for the stutter, which was a bit like: We
know the reason for the problem and we cannot do much about it because
it is caused by the hardware. This sounds to pessimistic and it may turn
people away from VDR because they are disturbed by this annoying
behaviour. :)

Instead I wanted to give a more positive view like:
We know one possible cause and Klaus is already on the way fixing it. :)

So we are patient now and wait for the things that come. ;-)

Emil