[linux-dvb] Re: Suggestion for channel tuning

> I think (k6 2-450 on MSI mobo) that it in my case is related to the fact
> that Linux disables DMA by default on this mobo chipset (forcing
> DMA srewed op a hard disk, so I am not going to try again).
> So maybe the trick here is to use DMA and maybe a mobo that allows it in
> Linux, that should allow some more data output.
> On the old mobo I had DMA disabled, and multi sector set with hpparm.
> And the multi-sector setting made a WHOLE lot of difference (for the better).
> This is all I understand about it at the moment, just a matter of
> data throughput.
> This is only for the 'hickups' in the picture though.
> Regards
> Jan
Is there a way to check this ? I thought if you disable dma - or if linux doesn't support the motherbord chipset it will disable dma - harddisk will run in PIO Mode - right ?
PIO means programmed I/O - so I guess CPU has to deal with the transfer between the hdd and memory - If so i think it should be possible to see this in a high cpu stress.
E.G. top should show one (or more) process taking all the cpu time, right ?

So, in my case there is always cpu at about 99% idle and hdparm tells that dma is ON - what can i derive from that ?
Would another mainboard change the situation - or is it a multiplexing problem and cannot be solved by other hardware ? I think it's the latter, but I'm not so sure.

Excuse me if I'm totally wrong but I am a kind of newbie to linux...

Anyway youre right regarding the variable Bitrates of the mpeg stream - glitches occur only at high bitrates (moving / fading scenes) - but that in fact would bring me to thinking it's a general perfomance problem - but top tells me another story ! I cannot really understand why it should behave like that if the muxing is the problem !?

Any ideas ?

Martin.