[linux-dvb] Re: 23% free but ReiserFS seems to be full - Solved

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:38:34 +0200, Jörg-Oliver Todamm
<jtodamm@itc-consult.de> wrote:

> Upgrading to Kernel 2.4.2 as it comes with the distribution and
> remounting with the -conv option as mentioned in the list helped. But
> later I had serveral problems accessing files. It was obviously that
> there were problems to handle the old files together with the new ones
> when shuffeling around large amounts of data. So I copied all files over
> the network and reformated the drives and now everythin seems to be ok.
>
> That is, what I have found.

I use ReiserFs with 2.4 kernel since about two weeks now without any
problems. I first had stored 70 GB of data on a 80 GB Maxtor. Now I have
everything reformatted to 7 software RAID5 (4 disks) partitions with 30
GB each and also no problems at all.

I have done this reformatting to smaller partitions for several reasons:
1. This allows an upgrade to more disk space without having to backup
everything. I just copy the content of a Raid5 partition to a temporary
Raid0 with enough space on the new disk. Reconfigure the old RAID5
partition to contain the new disk, and restore the data without having
to change the links on video0. This has to be repeated for each
partition. So I can upgrade to a maximum of 7 disks without backup.
But I also have a shell script now which relinks data directories into
video0. So I can move a data directory onto a different partition
without much hassle.

2. For fault tolerance it is better to split the large space of a RAID5
with 80 GB disks into smaller slices because if something goes wrong
with one partition I don't loose all the data at once.

I am also going to move the data files belonging to one movie into one
partition so that I either loose all or nothing of an archived movie if
something goes wrong with a partition. Of course the other *.vdr files
in /video0 are also saved.

As someone already has mentioned, VDR itself should try to put all files
of a recording into the same directory instead of spreading everything
over many directories. This can be fixed when the new API version is
out.

Emil