[linux-dvb] Question: How do I find out if DVB-C card works where I live?

Hello.

I am new to this list, have been following it for a few days now. I am
interested in building my own PVR using (probably) the DVB-C PCI card from
Siemens. I have for the last few days tried to gather as much info as
possible, not always an easy task. I have several questions about these
cards and I am wondering if someone here has the answers or can point me in
the right direction.

1. A friend of mine says that the standards are different for DVB over
cable, terrestial and satellite, perhaps even between different cable
operators. Is this true? Does this affect the usability of the DVB-C card
for me? How can I find out if it will work for me, without buying the card
and doing the old trial-and-error thing?

2. What is a CI module, what is it used for? The only info I found was in
german and hey, my german ain't that good (entschuldigung... :)   ). Is it
for the program cards?

3. If I build the PVR around a 850 MHz processor, will I STILL need two
DVB-cards to do timeshifting? How does that work anyways, since the only
"low-budget"-cards are DVB-S (for satellite that is), can I use one of
these? Or do you guys with satellite dishes connect a cable to each and
every card? The thing is, I have only found that Siemens make a DVB-C card
and that card is full-featured... meaning more expensive.

4. Does anyone know anything about the swedish cable operators at all, that
might affect the usability of existing hardware / software? Or does anyone
know about which factors might, so that I can check to see if I can find
some information about those factors from the provider?

I am very grateful for any answers you can provide me with, hopefully I will
have a progress report within a month or so... or just more questions! :)

Cheers,
Tommie