[linux-dvb] Re: Question: How do I find out if DVB-C card works where I live?

Tommie Nygren wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am new to this list, have been following it for a few days now. I am
> interested in building my own PVR using (probably) the DVB-C PCI card from
> Siemens. I have for the last few days tried to gather as much info as
> possible, not always an easy task. I have several questions about these
> cards and I am wondering if someone here has the answers or can point me in
> the right direction.
>
> 1. A friend of mine says that the standards are different for DVB over
> cable, terrestial and satellite, perhaps even between different cable
> operators. Is this true? Does this affect the usability of the DVB-C card
> for me? How can I find out if it will work for me, without buying the card
> and doing the old trial-and-error thing?

The LinuxDVB driver supports both DVB-S and DVB-C, and so does VDR.

> 2. What is a CI module, what is it used for? The only info I found was in
> german and hey, my german ain't that good (entschuldigung... :)   ). Is it
> for the program cards?

That's what you need to receive encrypted channels.

> 3. If I build the PVR around a 850 MHz processor, will I STILL need two
> DVB-cards to do timeshifting? How does that work anyways, since the only
> "low-budget"-cards are DVB-S (for satellite that is), can I use one of
> these? Or do you guys with satellite dishes connect a cable to each and
> every card? The thing is, I have only found that Siemens make a DVB-C card
> and that card is full-featured... meaning more expensive.

AFAIK you will need two cards to do time shifting. I haven't yet heard about
a card that can record and replay at the same time (which would be necessary
to do time shifting).

Klaus