[linux-dvb] Re: Lowest possible hardware configuration for VDR?

On Sunday, 10. June 2001 15:07, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Juergen Scherer wrote:
> > The only (minor) problem was to introduce the 40GB harddisk to the
> > ASUS 55TP4N Board. (I first had to enable the 32GB clip to overcome
> > the BIOS limits, but than started to use an IBM-diskmanager and some

If you do not need to boot from this drive (because you have another one with
the system) you do not need to inform the Bios about it - simply disable it,
Linux will just work fine (with drives <120GB for now ;-)

> > kernel parameters to use the full 40GB - more details on demand...)

I did'nt even need this.

> > Is someone bidding less ;) ?
>
> I had a similar problem with 40 GB on the MSi mobo.
> The bios reports 40 GB alright, but linux, after fighting with
> fdisk, does this:
> /dev/hdd1             32511352  23901236   6958636  77% /video
> So it reports 32 GB!

Think somewhere in the "large-disk-howto" was a remark to use cfdisk
for drives >32GB - it worked for me flawless.