[linux-dvb] Re: Replay problems

Carsten Koch wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > This looks a lot like it could be caused by the unstable channel switching.
>
> Yes, a driver/firmware bug for sure.
>
> However, a small thing could be done in vdr to improve the
> situation: vdr could abort immediately when it sees the first
> "read incomplete section". That would reload the driver immediately
> after it starts to malfunction rather than waiting ~ 4 minutes
> for the ARM reset and another minute for the watchdog timer to
> go off.
>
> Is there an easy way in the EIT scanner to abort vdr?

Just add a call to

    cThread::EmergencyExit(true);

after the "read incomplete section..." error message in eit.c.

> > Please try setting the EPGScanTimeout setup parameter to 0.
> > Does the problem still occur then?
>
> I disabled the EPG scan around 14:00h today.
> No more driver hickups since then:

Yes, it would appear that the channel switching problem is now
the remaining big issue, after recording and replay works flawlessly.

I did activate the EPG scanner a while ago and replayed a recording.
During replay I noticed some picture disturbances every now and then.
Closer investigation showed that the disturbances occurred exactly
at the times the EPG scanner switched the channel on my other two cards.
After turning off the EPG scanner replay worked fine again.

Ralph: is it possible that there is some crossover effect, causing
replay disturbances on the first card when the channel is switched
on the second or third card? Or do you think this has to be a problem
in VDR itself?

Klaus