[linux-dvb] Re: AW: OT: (Astra-)Channels with undubbed movies?

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 12:45:30 +0200, "Gerhard Andreas (RtW1/WIR2)"
<Andreas.Gerhard2@de.bosch.com> wrote:

> As far as I know, no satellite channel can broadcast original audiotrack due
> to licensing problems. When broadcasted via cable, distribution can be
> controlled and respective license fees are paid. Via satellite, a movie e.g.
> with english audio track broadcasted by e.g. ARD could also be watched in
> the UK, but no licence fees would be paid in the UK. This is also why
> BBC/Sky is not available in D and they actually switched satellite due to
> pirating.

Only the PayTV providers send movies with original sound tracks. For
example PW sends original tracks on some Cindedom channels and other
providers in europe make the same. I don't know if this is limited to
PayPerView there too, or if the send everything with original audio.
Netherland traditionally sends with original audio and subtitles. But
this is the same in the movie theater.

Emil