[linux-dvb] Are problems with 8bpp/16bpp driver, board, or chip limitations?

Chris Worley writes:
 > Is the lack of memory a problem with the SAA7146 chip or the board
 > manufacturer's lack of memory on the board?  If the latter, is there

It's the memory on the board.

 > anyone putting more memory on the board?

I don't know if this is possible without changing the board layout.
You would have to replace the 2 MB SDRAM with 4 MB somehow.
I don't know if the necessary address line for addressing the extra
memory is even present on the board.

 > Is the lack of 16bpp support a driver issue or is 8bpp the best
 > supported by the SAA7146?

The SAA7146 only handles the finished YCrCb signal from the AV7110.
It can convert and deliver it via DMA into main or VGA
memory in all common color modes (8, 16, 24, 32 bit, YUV, etc.).
OSD is created and overlayed over the TV display by the AV7110. The
windows of the AV7110 can be bitmapped with 1, 2, 4 or 8 bits/pixel or
have YCrCb 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 graphics.
16, 24 or 32 bit RGB modes are not supported.

Ralph