[linux-dvb] Re: Strange output from /dev/video

Hi all!

Last week I whined about some strange video output with /dev/video in
combination with ffmpeg (ffmpeg.sourceforge.net).

Ralph kindly steered me into the direction of v4l calls and also pointed out
that he didn't test all the palettes.

Well, it turns out that ffmpeg only supports YUV420P (at least that is what
is set in the sources). Using my webcam, which supports YUV420P only, ffmpeg
works, using the dvb driver in 420p, I get the  palette problems. Both use
mmap.

Maybe that is the problem?

On the other hand, does somebody have a snapshot tool which can be set to use
VIDEO_PALETTE_YUV420P for opening /dev/video? Maybe ffmpeg does something
wrong (it's quite beta). And I will pester the author about supporting other
palettes, thats userspace stuff anyway the kernel developers say....

I will look some more into the saa7146 driver.(And dream of understanding
something ;-) )

  Marcus