[linux-dvb] Re: High system load when replaying a recording with AC3 and help setting up a fifo

Hi Stefan,

On Sun, Jul 01, Stefan.Hagendorn@lindy.cc wrote:

> Does anyome detect a very high systemload when playing an AC3 recording ???

My DVB- System is realized with a 166MHz Pentium und AC3 works fine for
me.

> Is this due to the pipe which wrotes into a programm .. is there a way to
> reduce it like pipe into a fifo and let the decoding program read from
> there ??

You can make a pipe device (mknod -p). But I think this will not help.

> Btw .. can anyone show me how to setup a FIFO .. let VDR pipe the ac3data
> into the fifo and read with a decoder programm from this fifo, but only if
> it is not NOTHING .. The Problem on my site is: When ac3dec is started it
> mutes my digital input because it switchs the soundcard to raw data. I have
> connected the dvb-s to the digital input. This way I can hear the tv-sound
> an mix other pcm over the soundcard (like playing mp3). VDR now opens the
> pipe to ac3dec everytime a recording is replayed, even if it does not
> contain ac3 data but the dvb-s is muted for me :-(

BTW.: If you have a digital amplifier, why do you use ac3dec ?
ac3play puts the ac3 stream direct to the digital output and the
amplifier decodes the data, or does the problem with compiling still exist ?

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

	Dieter Bloms (Dieter.Bloms@suse.de)

SuSE Linux Solutions AG,    Tel:   +49-911-74053653
Schanzaeckerstr. 10,        Fax:   +49-911-74053674
90443 Nuernberg,            Email: Dieter.Bloms@suse.de
Germany                     WWW:   http://www.suse.de

Key fingerprint = C54E EAD2 784A 5402 C4E4  A58A 414A AEA1 9038 7583

-- Type: application/pgp-signature