[linux-dvb] Re: temprature of the dvb-card

Andreas Wohlfeld wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 01:58:07PM +0200, Peter Ludwig wrote:
> > At least I've got the dvb-card.
> > Yesterday the whole day I tried to get it run.
> > At the end vdr runs but the dvb-card was really hot even the "Platiene".
> > IS THAT NORMAL?
>
> I've been waiting for such a posting :-)
> Todays it's very hot and I can't get a picture out of my dvb-s.
> It's about 28 degrees C in my room, normaly about 24 degrees.
> I thought I damaged the satellite cable, but it may be the heat :-(

When I first got a DVB card (Australian summer beginning of year), I put
it in a PCI slot right next to the motherboard's BIOS and the heat from
the card's tuner corrupted the BIOS (room temperature was about 39 C).
Fortunately the Boot Block BIOS was still working and I was able to boot
a MS-DOS floppy disk to reflash the main BIOS.

I noticed that with a room temp of around 30C or above the card wouldn't
work or work for too long (except for playback which continued to work
fine). The virtical towercase design of my case didn't help matters as
it only caused heat to be trapped under the DVB card, anyway since I
installed a PCI exhaust fan next to the DVB card, it has been working
flawlessly.

Doug.