[linux-dvb] Re: DVBs Video Composit Out

> can somebody tell me please, do I need a graphics card
> with video out to use DVR and DVDplayer, or can I use the
> composit video out on my Haupauge 1.3. card?

This depends on the software you are using. VDR and DTV can use the
on-screen display functions of the DVB card. I don't know if the current DVD
player has an OSD, too (I have no DVD drive in my VDR box).

A more flexible way would be to use a VGA card that is supported by Linux'
frame-buffer driver. This will give you high-speed direct access to the
video memory. The OSD functions of the DVB card are limited and there is
only very little memory available. On the other hand, the DVB card's system
is optimized for output on a 352x288 TV screen. VGA runs at a minimum of
640x480 pixels so you image will always be a little blurry.

I recently tried to get an ATI Rage 3D VGA card to work on my TV set, but
unfortunately it ran at 60 Hz refresh rate (NTSC) instead of 50 Hz so I
didn't get a picture. I wonder what kind of VGA chip Convergence is using in
their framebuffer-based system because it seems as if no-one is really
working on/using the Linux framebuffer drivers so its functionality and
reliabilty is limited?

Regards,
hh