[linux-dvb] Re: DivX player for DVB system?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [linux-dvb] Re: DivX player for DVB system? (18-Jul-2001 10:18)
From:    stain@cs.tu-berlin.de
To:      hh@holtschneider.com

> > Another option that I have been thinking about for a while is using a VGA
> > card with TV-out and the Linux framebuffer driver. Does anyone have
> > experience with Matrox cards (they seem to be supported best by the
> > framebuffer driver)? What about the image quality?

TV-Out Quality of Matrox Cards is the best i have seen up to now.
Compared to ATI-cards the picture is obviously better.

> I currently have an ATI
> > card but the framebuffer driver won't run below 59.9 Hz refresh rate when
> > the card is connected to my TV and the image quality is awful (yes, I know
> > that 640x480 will never look as sharp on a TV 352x288 TV screen as it
> > should).
>
> 	From what I can say, the TV out of VGA-Cards most generally
> 	sucks.

Look at Matrox.

>     However someone posted the idea of converting the
> 	VGA signal into RGB using a small circuit in this list.

Matrox (at least the G400, maybe the G450 too) has
the possibility of direct RGB-Output.

Look at:

http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/faq/subject_faq/pinout.cfm

> 	He stated it has good visual quality. So perhaps thats the
> 	way to go. Using a framebuffer-device and tweaking your
> 	VGA to output a TV-ready signal.
>
> 	l8r..
> 		Thomas

...Andreas