[linux-dvb] Re: DivX player for DVB system?

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Henning Holtschneider wrote:

> Another option that I have been thinking about for a while is using a VGA
> card with TV-out and the Linux framebuffer driver. Does anyone have
> experience with Matrox cards (they seem to be supported best by the
> framebuffer driver)? What about the image quality? I currently have an ATI
> card but the framebuffer driver won't run below 59.9 Hz refresh rate when
> the card is connected to my TV and the image quality is awful (yes, I know
> that 640x480 will never look as sharp on a TV 352x288 TV screen as it
> should).

It's horrible difficult to get TV out running - not even with linux - with
windows too. I tried different computers to do that (notebooks, pc's - old
matrox cards, gerforce2 cards..), but I never got 100% satisfying results.
Sometimes the scan area is not correct (overscan, underscan - this means
you have no or a black border arround the picture), sometimes it is not
working at all, or only in NTSC ... simply horrible. (I know the tools
from tvtool.de, but that did not help me...)

I like the simplicity of current OSD, and I think you can use TV out
without much headache only in DVB boxes - the hardware is fixed and you
have the configuration nightmare only once (and at the developer side).

        Matthias