[linux-dvb] Re: Call for the driver developers

I think we should not be that ungrateful to them. They, reply very often to this list and try to help everyone immediately.
And it was a great decission to make the kernel drivers a GPL project. After all convergence is a commercial company and must be profitable. They could sell it as well.  And we all should think about this fact: Without this open sourced drivers nobody would be able to get a single picture out of his DVB card under linux.
Of course the communication can be optimized, but the developers still must do their work and can not talk all the time with this list. And their priorities  aren't set by themselve but by their company management.
At the moment, the focus seems to be set on developing a Internet Set-Top-Box and not a competitive product to the D-Box with decryption support.

greetings Tim

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 11:25:49AM +0200, Axel Gruber wrote:
> > Where are you ... what's up at convergence ???? Why is nobody answering
> > klaus's questions
>
> I also donīt understand why they allready change/implement new things and dotnīt solve the "old knowīn Problems"
>
> For Example: Channel switching - everyone knows that the driver shut down if you make heavy channel-Switching - they say - that there is no problem known...
>
> The Problem witht the CIīs - the "old CI-Support" isnīt realy good - but the newer Camīs arenīt supported yet - no comment to this...
>
> For Example: VDR with 1 CARD - after Replaying - CAM ist dead - you have to reload the driver... - that canīt be ! - A Friend of mine (Overdrive - he ist the Programmer of the WINDOWS-Software WINDVBLIVE) sayed to me that he "reset the CAM" after each Reply - so i have asked klaus if he can implement this function to VDR - but - he sayīs that the DRIVER donīt offer a "CAM-RESET" or a "CAM-INIT" function...
>

> I know - the DRIVER and itīs sources  are without Payment - but sometimes i wish that they sell the driver for Money - then i can say whatīs wrong.....
>

> The second thing: the Guys of Convergence say that they develop the driver for Commercial SET-TO-BOXES - at this point i only can laugh (lachen) - because with the stability of the driver - they will sell only 1 BOX - they will get it back after 5 Dayīs.
>
> The VDR-Project is a realy cool Project and Klaus spent very much Time in Programming and Development and i hate to see that he spent a big part of his time only in setting up VDR to the DRIVER-Changes...
>

> Perhaps i donīt understand you (Convergence), perhaps you have another (stable) driver wich is not public - perhaps you donīt have the time to do this  - but - a statement of you guys would be realy helpfull for all here in this list !
>

> I mean - if you donīt want to implement for example CI then say it - but dont say: "maybe, later, ....."
>

> OK - perhaps iīm now on some "red bann lists" but i have to say this - i thought long about this....
>

> --
> Info:

                \\\///
  Tim Lapawa    (o  -)   tim@lapawa.net
   ,ooo0                 Where do you want
  (     )         0ooo,     to go tomorrow?
                 ( _ /