[linux-dvb] Re: replay control in general

Matthias Weingart wrote:
> And with this you have maybe different replay speeds at different fast
> computers?

I do not think so.
At least, when I changed my VDR PC from a 150 MHz
machine to a 450 MHz machine, I did not see a
noticeable difference in fast forward speed.

However, here is another concern: I believe there is
absolutely no guarantee that we get an I-frame on
every 12th frame. In fact, some cheap encoders produce
only I-Frames and I believe the standard only suggests
that there should be at least one I-frame every 100
frames.

So if we play around with variable speeds, maybe
VDRs algorithms should be improved to become time-
based (or frame-number-based), rather than I-frame-
number-based.

Another thought: I am sure that the number of speed
steps and the speed range are a matter of taste, so
I wonder if it would not be wise to make them setup
parameters. For example:

  NumberOfSlowMotionSteps  = 3
    gives us 1/2 speed, 1/4 speed  and 1/8 speed

  MaximumSpeed             = 32
  NumberOfFastMotionSteps  = 4
    gives us FF/FR at 32x, 16x, 8x and 4x.

What do you think?