[linux-dvb] Re: T-Online launches pilot project for "T-DSL via satellite".

Hi all,

attached you find the response we got from Berkom,
the company who handles the T-DSL via Satellite
for the German Telekom.

I am translating the major points and adding some questions
of my own.
I apologize if my questions look stupid to some of you.
I have no experience whatsoever with the network usage
of the dvb driver or the budget card.
If anything I ask is answered in a FAQ or web page,
please point me to that page.

Berkom: "We do not supply a DVB-S, but the Technotrend PCI
         Budget (cheap card without hardware decoder support).
         Availability of drivers under linux is unclear."

It is my understanding that the Technotrend PCI Budget is
fully supported (including network functions) by the convergence
dvb driver.
Is this correct?

Berkom: "Please note: the T-DSL via Satellite standard software
         requires multicast-support from the driver!"

This implies that multicast-support for the budget card does
not exist under Linux.
Is this true?

Berkom: "All together linux users currently depend on the higher
         grade cards (DVB-S), because the Linux-focus seems
         to be on TV currently. IP plays a more minor role.
         If there are cards with Linux drivers, multicast
         support by the driver is required."

This implies that only the DVB-S is supported at all and
that even with the DVB-S, only the TV-related driver functions
work right.
Is this true?

Carsten.