[linux-dvb] Re: New DVB card hits the market.

Rainer Janson writes:
 > >  > Have a look here:
 > >  > http://www.msi.com.tw/products/multimedia/dvb/8401.htm
 > >  >
 > >  > Dont know about the price but it must be comparable to an analog TV
 > >  > tuner
 > >
 > > The picture is not very clear, but the PCI bridge seems to be a
 > > Fusion 878 (successor of Bt848/878) and the other chips (tuner and
 > > demodulator) might also be Conexant parts.
 > > So, this card is comparable to the Pinnacle DVB card which costs a little
 > > under 150 Euro.
 >
 > I have such a Pinnacle card, waiting for it's encouragement. Is there
 > anything new about supporting this card?
 >
 > I'll be happy about anything like "yes" :-)

I had contact with somebody at Conexant regarding this chipset
about a year ago. Although they first agreed to support this for
some reason I never got an answer when I asked for specific datasheets
for the tuner and demodulator chips (Fusion 878 datasheets are
freely available).
But I did not really follow up on this because the WinTV Nova has
the same functionality and we already wrote a driver for this card.

So, basically, we have no incentive to support yet another dumb (dumb
as in no hardware decoder/demux) DVB PCI card.
Regarding support for Conexant products I would be more interested
in their MPEG video processor chip with hardware demux, MPEG2/AC3
decoder and ARM 940T core ...

Ralph