[linux-dvb] Re: Hauppauge Wintv Nova and mplayer

On 4 Dec 2001 at 12:57, Henning Holtschneider wrote:

> > I got trouble install my new nova low budget dvb card.
> > [...]
> > bash-2.05# mplayer /dev/ost/dvr
> > [...]
> > Iam doing something wrong ???
>
> The budget card has no built-in MPEG decoder so you cannot use it with
> MPlayer. MPlayer's "DVB support" is a transcoder which will transform
> the input format into MPEG-2.

I've been told by Christian Schuld <schris@sonnengesicht.de> that you *can* use
the Nova card with MPlayer like this:

----- schnipp

To use mplayer mit the Nova- cards you have to transform the transport-
stream which /dev/ost/dvr delivers (after apropriate tuning with the zap
utilites) with ts2ps (from mplex tools) to program- stream. e.g.

cat /dev/ost/dvr | ts2ps <vpid> <apid> | mplayer -

May be you have to use an external buffering tool like "bfr" or mplayer's
built-in cache functionality ( mplayer -cache 2048 ) to get a smooth play.

----- schnapp

I haven't been able to check this because I have no Nova card but I will add this
(together with some more information about MPlayer) to the FAQ on the weekend.

Regards,
hh