[linux-dvb] Re: First release: DVBVideoLAN

On Thursday 06 December 2001 16:06, Frank Klingenhoefer wrote:
> I had a look on the "Linux-part" of your project.
> I have one question:
>
> In my eyes the "Linux-part" is based on D.Chapman's dvbstream, which
> is based on ...
> Why did you remove the copyright info?

Markus has left some of the copyright information in, but not all.  However,
I don't think he's infringing the GPL.  All I would ask would be that he
renames dvbstream to something else to avoid confusion with my version (which
I am still developing).

He has made quite a few changes to dvbstream - the main functional change is
that his Windows client needs a Program Stream instead of the Transport
Stream that my original dvbstream broadcasts.

Markus has also added command-line options to indicate the input source (DVB
card, file, stdin), and output target (network, file, stdout).  He uses ts2ps
from mpegtools in a pipe between two instances of dvbstream.

I've read on the Elecard website that their MPEG-2 decoder can handle
Transport Streams.  Markus - is there a reason why you decided not to use
this feature?

The main reason I chose to multicast transport streams was so that I could
potential transmit a whole transponder over a LAN (it multiple TV channels),
and then the client could choose which service to receive.

Best wishes,

Dave.