[linux-dvb] Re: Unique identifier

Patrick Cipiere writes:
 > Ralph,
 >
 > > No, the driver does not support this since services like EON now use a
 > > different kind of identification scheme where the IP is stored in the MAC.
 > > You could of course read the EEPROM through the normal Linux I2C
 > > interfaces and set the MAC accordingly.
 >
 > Thanks for the information.
 > Do you know the address in the EEPROM where to find the unique identifier?

It is written encrypted in 20 bytes at offset 0xcc.
But the MAC for the DVB card does not mean anything anyway. AFAIK,
it is not uniquely assigned like in the case of normal network cards.
And anybody can just open the right section filters and read all the
packets he wants. This would not matter if all providers would at
least offer some simple encryption of IP packets to their customers but
most don't.

Ralph