[linux-dvb] AC-3 Support

Peter Seyringer writes:

 > I have read the changelog of the driver and found following words:
 > 'started AC3 support for ntuxplayer'
 > Can some of convergence tell us is this for live viewing oder only for replay? Live AC3 were great!

Since ntuxplayer is only for replay, so is ac3 support. I am just
using liba52 to turn ac3 into lpcm. It is only in ntuxplayer (maybe
later in tuxplayer) and has nothing to do with the driver. ntuxplayer
can already play ac3 if the hardware supports it (like margi or
em8400), so the software decoding is only for cards that don't support
it (like the DVB-s or maybe others). Since it is downsampling it also
doesn't make any sense to record ac3 and replay it with ntuxplayer,
since you won't improve anything. In short, this only helps you with
viewing vobs. AFAIK vdr can already do that. I am doing this in my
free time (Ralph and I are on vacation till January), so it has
nothing to do with my job. Well, not in an official sense.

This can also be seen as an indication that even if convergence will
not make it (which we won't hope for), we will still work on the
drivers, time and resources permitting.

Marcus