[linux-dvb] Re: [vdr] Re: Re: Bad news (summary)

Andres Torrubia writes:
 > > I'm aware of this paragraph of the GPL ... IMHO this does not fit
 > > on a separate binary only modul or library from an other distributor
 > > which is used by a GPL'ed software.  There are many binary only moduls
 > > and libraries out there which are used by GPL'ed software ... think about
 > > system libraries of any comerical OS.
 >
 > Using a module by invoking a documented, externally exposed interface is one
 > thing (such as command-line), but using it in such a way that you _need_ to
 > know how it internally works is different.  Do you know of any GPL'd program

Why do you need to know how it works internally????
You have the include files which define the interface between PC and
ARM and can deduce the rest from the available driver sources.
You want documentation for this? Sorry, I do not have any either and
still was able to write the driver, also without firmware sources.

There even is a windows driver based on our drivers (Multidec) which
also was written without access to the firmware sources.
What's the problem?

 > that is distributed (and intertwined) WITH a binary for which you cannot get
 > the sources under the same terms as the GPL?

Well, my brother already listed a few. So, I rather ask: what exactly
are you trying to accomplish with these mails?
The best outcome for you would be to win your argument (which I doubt)
and we would be forced to stop distributing the driver at all. After
rewriting a few minor parts which are based on GPLed work (not much
since there was not much contribution by others) we could then only
publish a closed source driver. Is this your intention?

Ralph