[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-S card crash!!

giancarlo@baracchino.it wrote:

> Sometimes my dvb-s siemens card resets it self... it says:
>
> kernel: dvb0: ARM crashed!
> kernel: bootarm: debi test OK

I have a test case that produces ARM crashes easily - at least on my system.

but in my case, the driver does not automatically reload the ARM.
I wonder why.
Does anyone know why the ARM does not get reloaded in some cases
(like mine) but does get reloaded in other cases (like Giancarlo's)?

> What I have done wrong?

That's hard to tell, as you are not saying what you are doing.
Which application are you running?
What did you do at the time of the crash?
Do you have a reproducible test case?

Of course you are not really doing anything wrong.
I assume that the message "ARM crashed" indicates that
the firmware in the card's processor has crashed.
The most likely (but not the only possible) cause of any
software crash is a bug.

convergence has source for parts of the firmware.
If the bug is in the parts they do not have source for,
they cannot fix it. However, I assume that the driver
could be changed so it communicates with the firmware
in a way that works around the crashes.
Of course, that's guesswork. The only person who
really knows what's going on is probably Ralph.

Carsten.