[linux-dvb] Hauppauge Nova-T card, newbie worried about reception

Hi,

I currently use a Linux PC with two Hauppauge WinTV cards as a PVR system
in my living room.

I'm highly tempted to add a Nova-T card to my setup.

This whole project is supposed to be a self-education exercise, so adding
DVB reception seems a great next step.  And I see here some people have
this card working in the UK, so it should work in principle...

But getting started is a bit daunting: I've never worked with the DVB
stack, this card, I don't know if my aerial is suitable, etc etc.

Given that I don't even know if my aerial can pull in the signal, I could
be in for a frustrating time.  Where can I go for advice on aerials?  I
currently get analogue from Sandy Heath.  I'm in Cambridge.  My aerial is
in the loft.

I see that Sandy Heath is also the recommended digital transmitter - but
field strength at my location is much lower than for analogue.

At http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?DX=L&OS=TL4463 is the digital
prediction for my village: 47 dBuV/m.  For analogue, 73 dBuV/m is
predicted.

Perhaps I'm not interpretting these correctly, but 30dB is a big
difference!  Perhaps not surprising as the transmitter EIRP is 10kW as
opposed to 1MW for the analogue.

That predictor site says I'll need an "amplified extra-high gain
antenna".  Oo-err.

Cambridge isn't exactly the middle of nowhere, so this is a bit
surprising!

Any pointers or advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks,
Steve