[linux-dvb] "Resource temporarily unavailable" with latest CVS driver

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: "Resource temporarily unavailable" with latest CVS driver
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 21:47:11 +0100
From: Paul Adriaenssens <paul.adriaenssens@cast4all.com>
To: linux-dvb@linuxtv.org, Ralph Metzler <rjkm@convergence.de>,
	Jon Folland <jon@nativ.tv>, Karim Amrani <kamrani@jdcv.com>
CC: Bart De Gruyter <bart.de.gruyter@cast4all.com>,
	Herwig Mannaert <herwig.mannaert@cast4all.com>

   > Now regarding the Nova card questions:
   > You definetely should also try a current CVS driver version.
   > Ralph

We installed dvb-20020107.tar.bz2 and we are still experiencing the
'Resource temporarily unavailable' problem. We did some testing in order
to reproduce this error.

  > Karim Amrani writes:
  >  > I'm experiencing the 'Resource temporarily unavailable' problem
too...
  >  > (from time to time).
  >  > This 'bug' appears from time to time : the software can run for days
  >  > without problems but sometimes it fails. I tried to stop my
program and
  >  > rerun it (it then sets again the parameters (frequency, pol,
PID)) but
  >  > the error is still there (not a single byte is read from now on).
  >  > The only way I found (I did not look for long !) to get back to
  >  > normal is to reboot the PC...

This is exactly what we experience too. From the moment on the problem
occurs the driver does not seem to be able to recover from this error.
Running szap or ntuxzap does not help, nor reloading the driver! We did
the following additional test:

Instead of our java client receiver we started a simple pftp server
(cfr. www.pftp.de) to receive our multicasted data (237.4.23.23, with
payload 1024 bytes, on port 4444 of interface 192.168.0.1 (dvb0_0)),
using the following command:

pftp 4444 -v -x -m1024 -mi 192.168.0.1 -mg 237.4.23.23 > x.log

This works fine. Now, in order not to wait for 2 days until the error
occurs, we obscure the LNB of the Nova card (= simulation of the very
bad wether conditions). From that moment the pftp server generates the
following errors:

* Receiving multicasted datagrams from 192.168.200.1.
** recvfrom: Resource temporarily unavailable

The fact that we receive the errors during those destructive testing is
not the problem (in fact the pftp server should be able to timeout,
saying there's no more incoming data).

The real problem is that when we take away the cause of the problem
(take away the obstacle from the LNB) the 'Resource temporarily
unavailable' problem stays forever.

This situation took place in real live during heavy snowfall here in
Belgium at December 30. This is the log of the FrontendStatus during
that evening

Sun Dec 30 17:38:39 CET 2001
STATUS = 11
BER    = 0 * 10^-9
SIGNAL = 154 * 10^-6 dBm
SNR    = 13125000 * 10^-6 dB

Sun Dec 30 17:43:40 CET 2001
STATUS = 11
BER    = 170 * 10^-9
SIGNAL = 152 * 10^-6 dBm
SNR    = 12375000 * 10^-6 dB

Sun Dec 30 17:48:40 CET 2001
STATUS = 11
BER    = 4110 * 10^-9
SIGNAL = 150 * 10^-6 dBm
SNR    = 10875000 * 10^-6 dB

Sun Dec 30 17:53:40 CET 2001
STATUS = 11
BER    = 76710 * 10^-9
SIGNAL = 148 * 10^-6 dBm
SNR    = 9375000 * 10^-6 dB

Sun Dec 30 17:58:40 CET 2001
STATUS = 11
BER    = 1095330 * 10^-9
SIGNAL = 146 * 10^-6 dBm
SNR    = 7875000 * 10^-6 dB

Sun Dec 30 18:03:40 CET 2001
STATUS = 11
BER    = 3456230 * 10^-9
SIGNAL = 146 * 10^-6 dBm
SNR    = 7125000 * 10^-6 dB

Sun Dec 30 18:08:41 CET 2001
STATUS = 11
BER    = 10485750 * 10^-9
SIGNAL = 144 * 10^-6 dBm
SNR    = 5750000 * 10^-6 dB

At that time our driver and machine hanged up (with siemens_dvb-0.9.3),
the machine has 256 MB RAM and a Pentium 600MHz. In those cases we even
can't reboot the receiver remotely which makes him unusable!

How can we further investigate this problem. Don't hesitate to ask
additional information.

IP-gateway in