[linux-dvb] Re: HDTV & DVB / VDR (dscaler ..)

Emil,

Most of the time i am recording Films not Video.

Using MPlayer it seems that there is ZigZag (bad deinterlacing) on some
films.
You can easily see it on fast moves.
But on good Canal+ broadcasts i don't have any problem.

Maybe it is a bad NTSC to PAL conversion from US TV series or TV Films.
I am pretty sure the problem i see on certain movies is from a bad NTSC
to PAL transcoding from TV Broadcasters.
(films already on NTSC Video format and converted for broadcasting)

If you mix even and odd frames from Film broadcast you have proper 25Hz
Frames (called weaves on DScaler FAQ).

But on Video, there should be no mix between two fields as even and odd
frames aren't recorded at exactly the same time (second one 1/50 sec
later).To be sure i just tested Mplayer playback from LCI and LCP
channels recordings.And there are many zaggies during moves.

So it seems MPlayer is just doing 2:2 pulldown (weaves) on all MPEG
files but is not able to detect that it should rather do Video
deinterlace (Bob or better) on Video MPEG Files.

I don't think there is an option to force deinterlacing method with
MPlayer (Arpi would say RTFM again !)

Patrick.