[linux-dvb] Re: Video corruption with OSD - possibility of fix?

Hi Lauri,

since none of the real experts answerd yet, I sum up what I remember
from reading the mailing list

>I've read from the list that there are some problems with OSD activity
>causing video corruption. E.g. DVD subtitling causes a corrupted image,
>was it, every fifth second.
>
>Now my questions is (this has probably been answered on the list already,
>but I could not find it with the search engine, sorry):
>
>Is the corruption caused by the application (VDR), the driver, the
>firmware, or the hardware? And is there any light at the end of the
>tunnel, i.e. is there any way of fixing it?

Basically its a hardware problem: not enough memory.
The driver developers have to do a compromise between reliability of osd
and other functions.
They did a very good job improving this, compared to the beginning.

vdr does it`s best to cope with the problems, but don`t cause them.
The amount of problem correlates with number of colours (bits per pixel)
and size of bitmap.

>Thus I'm a bit worried will it ever be possible to implement subtitling
>for the TechnoTrend cards

I think this should be possible, because you don`t need colours and only
a small part of the screen

>Somebody suggested using videotext for subtitling. Is it possible though
>the driver somehow?

I don`t  really know, but I think: yes

>One more thing about videotext: one finnish broadcaster is broadcasting
>the plain old video text over DVB now. Should I be able to see it with the
>DVB driver and VDR? I'm using composite output if that makes any
>difference...

Yes this should work!
If you give the right PID in channels.conf, vdr/the driver just forward
the signal and the TV-set can show it like usual.
It does work perfectly here (composite out too)
Somebody is working on further vtx support (caching ...)

Greetings

  Michael