[linux-dvb] Re: X display on DVB board?

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 mocm@convergence.de wrote:

> Why don't you use tuxview, xawtv, kwintv, df_layers (from DirectFB),
> fbtv or any other video4linux viewer?
> I am using fbtv right now, but only because I don't want to run X.
> I am using rtuxzap, not vdr, but that shouldn't be a problem. You can
> even use lirc and your remote control to switch xawtv from fullscreen
> to window mode and to switch from PAL to NTSC when viewing region1
> DVDs.
Erm. Is the stuff which is displayed via OSD also visible when I use
tuxview/xawtv/...? I don't think so?! If not, I won't be able to use VDR
as it uses OSD? Or is there some other recording software which uses X?
(Sorry for asking instead of trying it out - it would take me some hours
to configure it.)

> The only thing you need is a good TV resolution for your graphics card,
> it works great for MGA, ATI and Voodoo cards, but maybe it also works for
> NVIDIA and others.
I'm currently using an ELSA GLADIAC 311TV-OUT with NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 200.
The SVHS-out gives a nice picture connected to my 28" TV, but only when
speaking about colors. The resolution of the X driver is locked to 640x480
and 800x600 (no way to get a PAL signla out), which both leaves a small
black border around the "active"  picture. I've mailed nvidia and got an
answer promising they would have a look at this - I hope they really do.
Damned closed-source drivers... I'll probably buy another graphics board
with TV-out, but only if I find a solution for the issue mentioned above.

Cheers, Jonny