[linux-dvb] Software you might find useful

Hi folks. I am one of the happy few to have a Hauppauge NOVA-T PCI card
working in my Linux box. This I did by following Scott White's excellent
HOWTO, but using the latest version of dvbstream to send a transport stream
to stdout. I'm watching with mplayer, and apart from the fact that if I'm not
root I get poor sound/vision sync, all is well.

Then I wanted to do unattended recording to my hard disk. I can't use VDR
because I don't have a card with a hardware MPEG decoder, so I wrote an
application in TclTk enabling me to set recording times from a simple GUI. It
also allows you to watch any channel or MPEG file through the same interface.
You can download it from http://www.ed.ac.uk/~jtaylor/telly.tcl

Points to note:
* Your dvb drivers must already be loaded
* It uses the ~/.tzap/channels.conf created by Scott's setup process
* App must be running when record happens
* Horizon is probably 2^31 ms == about 3 weeks
* Currently no facility to list or cancel scheduled record operations

I don't intend to develop this any further as I want to redo it with the
mbone broadcast system to enable watching and recording at the same time. I'm
just offering it (without guarantee of course!) in case anyone finds it
useful.

Enjoy!
	--Jasper