[linux-dvb] Re: [POLL] kdvb-fe, tune at initialisation, power management

Holger Waechtler wrote:

> I'd like to disable tuning at driver initialisation (saves about 50
> lines of code) and enable power management by default in the frontend
> code (causes kdvb-fe not to run when frontend device is not opened).

This sounds like a good thing to me - hopefully, it'd save me 35% or
idle CPU use (in the kdvb-fe thread) on my untunable DVB-S, which has no
dish connected and is just for TV output.  Not to mention a lot of heat :)

> The good thing is that the frontend thread won't run when no
> application requested tuning to a transponder <snip>

One quick question though - will this change mean that the kdvb-fe
zigzag scan will only run if the card is tuned, or that it will run if
the frontend device is opened, even if no tuning is attempted?

I think, although I've not checked properly, that VDR opens the frontend
device, even if the card is only for TV output.  With the suggested
patch, I presume that an open frontend device will be required for TV
output anyway.

Ideally, it'd be nice if the zigzag scan only runs if a tuning is
attempted.  That may be for a later patch though :)

Some background on my problem which gives rise to this question:

Cheers,

Mike Grant.