[linux-dvb] Re: 8psk format

Jeremy Hall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know what this 8psk format is?

8psk would be QAM8, QPSK would be QAM4 and BPSK would be called QAM2.
The number describes the number of phase/amplitude transition states.
Here some phase diagrams:

QPSK modulation:
(here each phase angle encodes a symbol out of 00, 01, 10, 11)

     00 x       |        x 01

    --------------------------

     10 x       |        x 11

QAM16:
The 'real' QAM modulations use both angle and amplitude of the
transmitted signal to encode a symbol:

    0000  0001  |  0010  0011
        x    x  |  x     x

    0100  0101  |  0110  0011
        x    x  |  x     x

    --------------------------

        x    x  |  x     x
    1000  1001  |  1010  1011

        x    x  |  x     x
    1100  0101  |  1110  1111

So each of the 16 points in the phase/amplitude diagram above describes
one binary symbol from 0...16. Since the mapping of points to symbols
has to be defined somewhere the DVB standard defines a number of
modulations, namely QPSK, QAM16, QAM32, QAM64, QAM128, QAM256.

> DO any supported cards have the ability to lock to an 8psk transponder?

Some Demodulators support BPSK and an alternative QAM128 mapping. I
suppose you have to read the datasheets to find out if any of them
supports 8psk.

Holger