[linux-dvb] Re: PROC_FS patch and other stuff

On Thursday 31 October 2002 13:31, Holger Waechtler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to add this to the driver, but don't want to blow up the source
> for small STB's. Is it possible to encapsulate all this stuff into one
> or two extra files?
>
> Holger

Most of it, yeah. Some parts hitch a ride on top of existing code though, such
as init and de-init functions. Some extra fields are added to some of the
data structures, etc.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean with not blowing up the source. Not
defining USE_PROCFS gives you the old driver, line-for-line. Notice the patch
has basically no "-" lines, I have not altered the existing driver, but do
all workarounds inside USE_PROCFS, so that I don't screw up something that
works :-)) So the compiled module is exactly what it was without proc_fs. Do
you mean source code complication itself (i.e. moving as much proc_fs code as
possible out of the driver code into seperate files)? I will fix that anyway,
even on principle :-)

Any thoughts on directory/file layout in procfs? Is /proc/dvb even a good
place? Any pointers I should follow while moving all proc_fs code to seperate
file(s)?

Thanks for the support :-)
Dennis