[linux-dvb] Re: Determining transport stream bitrate.

Hi,

I lost your e-mail so... I created a new mail and just copy-pasted your subject
line.

So, you want a solution that will give you bitrate both on live and prerecorded?
Then you should definitely use the second option I enumerated: the one with the
PCR.

You should extract the PCR value from the adaptation fields of the respective
stream. AFAIR it has a rate of 27 MHz. This number will not give you any time
(it is an abstract number), but substracting two such numbers gives you a
time-span with a precision greater that any PC clock can give you. Then you
count the number of bits (of the PIDs you are interested) between these two
numbers, and then divide this number of bits with the time-span that you
obtained substracting the two PCRs.

This gives you instantaneous bitrate (even in constant, bitrate still varies
usually with let's say 100Kb). That's all.

This solution is the best solution I know to solve this problem. Good luck!

All the best,
Aurelian

Home:       http://rotwailer.dmi.tut.fi:8080/Home