[linux-dvb] Re: Howto setup a multicast network connection?

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Holger Waechtler wrote:

> Holger Kiehl wrote:
> >
> >>Can you please try to find out why it's failing in the probe function in
> >>stv0299.c or try to check out older versions of this file from CVS and
> >>report when exactly the bug was introduced?
> >>
> >>cvsps is a nice tool to investigate the edit history of files in a CVS
> >>repository, maybe this helps you...
> >>

> > I did try this but as of patchset 1029 (a big one) the patching did no longer
> > work (it might be an error on my part since it is the first time I work
> > with CVS). But I can say it did not work with patchset 1352, 1334, 1333,
> > 1236, 1233 and 1224.
>
> I'd suggest to use cvsps in order to get an idea what happened to the
> source and then check out the relevant file version using 'cvs up
> -dPD<DATE> <filename>' or referencing the exact file version.

What I did is first a cvsps -f stv0299.c to get all patchset numbers and
then a cvsps -f stv0299.c -s <patchset no.> to get a patch file, which
was then applied with patch -R.

> > Meanwhile someone else suggested to me to try the driver from the Metzler
> > brothers. When loading them I get more information on the output:
>
> I suppose the Metzler driver works with this card because they got paid
> for this driver. But anyway, if we want to have reliable KNC1-Support in
> the official linux kernel source tree we'll have to fix this in the
> LinuxTV CVS source tree anyway -- multiple diverging source trees don't
> really help anybody.

This was/is something very confusing for me as a newbie. I did know which
driver to take, there seem to be so many different drivers. But also which
tools to use there is dvbd, dvbtune and szap. Please do see this just
as an observation and not as a complain. I am very thankful for the very
quick replies and help that I get on this list and for all the work done
by the comunity!

> > I now remember that I did try this driver earlier and later switched
> > to linuxtv-dvb-1.0.0-pre3, since trying to use dvbtune did not work. I
> > do remember dvbtune did talk once with the card but then too it
> > would always return the error 'No such device' when trying to open
> > /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0. Looking back in /var/log/messages I see
> > that the frontend did load once but after a reboot never again:
>
> After a soft or a hard reboot? I remember that the stv0299 sometimes
> completely hangs when the i2c timing registers accidentally get
> misconfigured by the probing code. Then you have to switch off your
> computer comletely and remove the power cable for some minutes...

It was a soft reboot.

> Please report if this behaviour is true -- if so we'll have to think
> about the tuner probing code again.

On monday I will have access to the machine, I will then power it off
and report my findings.

Thanks,
Holger (Kiehl)