[linux-dvb] Re: Mplayer aspect ratios

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 3:32 pm, you wrote:
> Ashley Evans wrote:
> >When I fullscreen 4:3 broadcasts I have black borders around all of the
> > image. Is there anyway to make mplayer automatically crop and scale?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Ashley.
>
> It sounds like your mplayer lacks xv support...
>
> ./configure --enable-xv
>
> My mplayer automatically scales whatever I fit to fill the window... for
> 16:9 stuff it opens a 16:9 window by default... for 4:3 it opens a 4:3
> window..
>
> Do an 'mplayer -vo help' and make sure you have xv support..
>
> Hope that helps...
>
> Jim

I have xv. I don't think it's actually an mplayer problem. When I view (Top of
the Pops 2 as a current example) The mpeg stream is 720x576 but the picture
is in 4:3 ratio so there are black bars encoded in the mpeg stream, either
side of the actual picture. Hence when this is maximised I have black borders
around each edge of the picture.

Ashley.