[linux-dvb] Re: bit error rate versus count - stv0299

Michael Glaum wrote:
The way I read the API the FE_READ_BER should give you the
bit error _rate_, in some known units.

In the case of the stv0299 I notice that the chip is instead
being configured to _count_ Viterbi bit errors. Indeed, 0x93 is
written to register 0x34, the error control register:

bit		descr
7		1: Error Count
		0: Error Rate

[5:4]		00: QPSK bit errors
		01: Viterbi bit errors
		10: Viterbi byte errors
		11: packet errors

[1:0]		NOE bits [sic] in count Period in bytes (NB)
		00: 2^12 bytes
		01: 2^14 bytes
		10: 2^16 bytes
		11: 2^18 bytes

   To get a correct measurement of bit error rate, I think we
   should configure the stv0299 to calculate Viterbi bit
   error rates at 2^18 __bytes__. That is we should write 0x13
   in register 0x34. If we get number X from FE_READ_BER then
   the BER in dimensionless units is
		x/(8*2^18).

   Opinions anyone? Does anyone know what the other frontends
   are doing?
not all frontends support real bit error rate measurements, so this ioctl is defined to return the number of absolute bit errors between 2 FE_READ_BER ioctls. It's up to the application to measure the time interval between the ioctls or to sleep a defined time between the monitoring ioctl calls.

Holger