[linux-dvb] Best quality output on TV from Linux?

Hi all,

I've been using a pair of WinTV Nova cards plus my own homebrew software to
record MPEG2 video for some time now with truly excellent results. I've been
watching on my computer screen using MPlayer and my Matrox G550, but now I'd
like to be able to watch the recorded MPEG2 streams on a normal TV.

What hardware should I be using to give the highest possible quality of TV
output? I'm aiming to get a reasonably large widescreen TV and drive it with
RGB through the SCART socket. Audio will go through an ICE1712-based card to
an external 24-bit HiFi DAC.

I have a DXR-3 card (em8300-based) here, but I've not used it recently. This
card can do RGB output, I believe. When I last used it with MPlayer the A/V
sync was really bad, but I understand that they may have fixed that by now.
Anyone tried this? What's the quality like?

I've seen the quality of TV output from ATI video cards and the onboard video
on a VIA Eden board. I was seriously unimpressed. Surely we can do better than
this??

I believe that some of the more fancy DVB cards have a TV output on them and
can even do the MPEG decoding entirely on-board. If necessary (and affordable)
I'd be happy to buy a DVB-c or DVB-s card and use it for output only,
providing the quality was good enough. I live in London -- any idea if I can
get DVB-c to work with the cable TV services here? What about decrypting the
channels? What's the quality of the TV output on these things like?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks all!

Will

William R Sowerbutts                                  will@sowerbutts.com
Coder / Guru / Nrrrd                                http://sowerbutts.com
         main(){char*s=">#=0> ^#X@#@^7=",c=0,m;for(;c<15;c++)for
         (m=-1;m<7;putchar(m++/6&c%3/2?10:s[c]-31&1<<m?42:32));}