[linux-dvb] Re: problems with dvb-kernel

On Monday, 7. July 2003 20:09, Michael Hunold wrote:
> Hello Guido,
>
> > It compiles fine, without any warning or error, however running the
> > insmod gives a lot of unresolved externals - though the videobuf modules
> > is loaded e.g. it did'nt find it's exports for the saa7146_vv.o module
> > and therefore it can't load the dvb-ttpci.o ... so it's not working for
> > me :-((
>
> Hmm, works fine for me:
>
> sezier build-2.4 # cd /tmp/
> sezier tmp # cvs -dhunold@linuxtv.org:/cvs/linuxtv co dvb-kernel
> sezier tmp # cd dvb-kernel/
> sezier tmp # cd build-2.4/
> sezier tmp # ./getlinks && make install
> sezier tmp # ./insmod.sh load
>
> Loads and runs flawlessly.
>
> > Any hints?
>
> Have a look at /proc/ksyms. If the "videobuf.o" module is loaded, the
> exported symbols must be listed there. If they are, but with some kind
> of prefix or postfix, then there is something wrong with the way the
> modules have been build.
>
> A good candidate is "Set version informations on all modules" in the
> kernel configuration dialogue. If this is set and you save the
> configuration, all functions from modules build afterwards will get
> prefixes to identify these modules in a unique way.
>
> If this is set, try to unset it, recompile and install the kernel again,
> then recompile the dvb driver and load again.

Ok, did it like described, strange but the ksyms look still the same:
(wonder if that GPLONLY is the problem?)

ccbe0060 GPLONLY_videobuf_vmalloc_to_sg [video-buf]
ccbe01ec GPLONLY_videobuf_lock  [video-buf]
ccbe028c GPLONLY_videobuf_unlock        [video-buf]
ccbe02e0 GPLONLY_videobuf_dma_init_user [video-buf]
ccbe0408 GPLONLY_videobuf_dma_init_kernel       [video-buf]
ccbe0490 GPLONLY_videobuf_dma_pci_map   [video-buf]
ccbe05bc GPLONLY_videobuf_dma_pci_sync  [video-buf]
ccbe05ec GPLONLY_videobuf_dma_pci_unmap [video-buf]
ccbe063c GPLONLY_videobuf_dma_free      [video-buf]

<OT>
Another thing - once the version information was for the reason that one can
use modules compiled for ealier kernelbuilds without recompiling - is that
feature gone now?

Why get all my other drivers deleted if i rebuild kernel?
</OT>