[linux-dvb] Re: dvbstream and transcode

> Tuning from tzap, to avoid all those tedious manual parameters. In other
> words something like:
>
> 	dvbstream "BBC ONE"

> Getting it to start at or in a specific time:
> 	dvbstream --at 20:55 "BBC ONE"

These are good ideas; they are heading in the direction of a command
line vdr. It might be wise to see if anyone else is heading
in this direction.

> generation. In other words finding out what annoys transcode about
> dvbstream output and fixing it.
>
> Secondary to this is getting the new dvbstream to spot transmission
> errors and dropped packets and omitting them. At the moment dropped data
> seems to cause a TRUNCATED packet which causes an error. The reader then
> has to recover and skip the next correct packet to re-sync (because the
> next packet's header has already gone past). Better would be to omit the
> entire packet then bit-stream synchronisation would not be lost.

It might be better to put a kind of 'front end' to transcode, rather
than delete stuff. I don't know. Or make transcode more
robust?

> Does this make sense to anyone? How many people use dvbstream rather
> than a more high-level application like VDR?
>
> Looking forward to people's responses,

One thing sort of along these lines, I have been looking at is
putting a lot of the functionality of zap + scan into a library.

There is a library that almost does this : dvbsak. (cvs version is
ahead of tarball : tarball easier to build).

My idea for what this library should be like is:

controls the kinds of things that aren't directly video or
audio related : control (tuning, diseqc, lnb), selection (demux),
information (NIT, PAT). I think CI would fit in there. Presents
feedback on what is possible so using application can display
in their desired method.

Keeps a record of this information in a superset format :
so importing / exporting to formats like vdr is easy.

This library would have to meet the following criteria:

- LGPL
- works, reliable
- easy to use, well documented, reasonably clean code
- does what is wanted, does it better than writing from scratch
- minimal resources, low integration problems
- useful demonstration apps
- communicative, reliable, reasonable maintainer

Jamie