[linux-dvb] Re: channels.conf syntax?

The problems (as I see them) are:

- a samba style file, as Gerd suggested, is much more easy to write, read, parse, fix by hand and understand

- c++ doesn't always fit well with existing projects, and especially it creates dependencies to gcc versions
(upgrading g++ is still a nightmare )

Personally I don't understand the passion for XML;
don't you believe that a structure like the one following (intended as an example, not as a proposal) is easier?

[source]
name=hotbird
type=SAT
diseqc_protocol=1.0
lnb=1
card=1

[mux]
name=rai
source=hotbird
frequency=11766
polarization=v

[programs]
name=rai1
mux=rai
vpid=160
apid=80

Nico

Niklas Peinecke wrote:

Gerd Knorr wrote:

"Nico" <nsabbi@tiscali.it> writes:

please, everything but NOT XML: it's uselessly complicated and
implies dependencies to external libs, which are rejected by many
projects (e.g. mplayer, as far as I'm concerned).

Agreed, every f*cking additional library dependency makes software
maintainance harder, and I absolutely don't see the point in using XML
for config data.

  Gerd

Well, if the library dependancy is a problem I could donate my own lightweight (450 lines of code) XML parser. It's pure C++, one class only, SAX like API (easy to use, no overhead), quite verbose on errors and maybe pretty fast (finite automata based). If anybody is interested, please contact me.

Btw. XML is not complicated. You don't have to use all the mumbo jumbo extensions (dtd, schema, namespace and what else) and can only use it as simple as html.

Niklas