[linux-dvb] Re: Dvb kernel w/Nebula chewing CPU time

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 11:28:55PM +1000, Clyde Stubbs wrote:
> I'm running the latest dvb-kernel CVS with a Nebula DigiTV card,
> and *some of the time* when I load the kernel modules, the CPU
> usage jumps to around 50% CPU time, with nothing actually running
> or even accessing the card. Then some of the time, this stops.
>
> Rmmoding the modules makes the CPU usage go back to normal. Loading
> them again reintroduces the problem.
>
> Even when the cpu usage is abnormal, the dvb devices can be accessed,
> but there is significant loss of data leading to broken video
> and audio. When it's normal, no such problems.
>
> nforce2 M/b with RH9 and 2.4.22 kernel, APIC disabled.

Hmm..

with bt878 the dma is always running, and scheduling the
dvb_bt8xx_task, if there's data. If the frontend is not tuned _and_ sending
garbage, it is possible routine dvb_dmx_swfilter has a hard
time.

You could try a

        if (!card->active) {
                card->bt->last_block = card->bt->finished_block;
                return;
        }

in dvb_bt8xx_task.

Let us know.