[linux-dvb] Re: Problems with kernel 2.6.1 tda1004x module on Nova-T

Nick Dyer wrote:
Hi. This is my second attempt at trying to get my DVB card working under
linux (it seems to work fine with W2K). I'm using the vanilla kernel.org
2.6.1 sources.

# lspci -v
[...]
00:05.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Technotrend Systemtechnik GmbH: Unknown device 1005
        Memory at d9101000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]

...so I'm meant to have the budget driver and tda1004x frontend, yes?

# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
budget                  5440  -
budget_core             7360  -
saa7146                18556  -
ttpci_eeprom            2848  -
tda1004x               11588  -
dvb_core               59936  -

# dmesg
saa7146: register extension 'budget dvb'.
saa7146: found saa7146 @ mem c9850000 (revision 1, irq 12) (0x13c2,0x1005).
DVB: registering new adapter (TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T  PCI).
tda1004x_attach
tda1004x_read_byte: reg=0x0
tda1004x_read_byte: error reg=0x0, ret=-121
TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T  PCI adapter 0 has MAC addr = 00:d0:5c:20:41:ac

(I have edited the source and turned on debug in tda1004x.c)

If I'm reading this correctly, the module is trying to do a probe on the
i2c bus and getting back an error instead. I thought for a while it was
a problem with the firmware but it doesn't seem to be getting that far.
I don't believe that I've found a new bug here since Nova-T is a pretty
common card - am I missing something really obvious?
hmmm - your tda10045 does not replies to i2c messages, either your card is broken or you discovered a new species. Is it working under Windows? Is the tda10045 really a tda10045? Some people have reported that Technotrend is now using the tda10046 in some of their USB boxes, this one is not yet supported...

Holger