[linux-dvb] 2.6 request_firmware and frontends

I just spent a while trying to figure out how I would go about using the 2.6
request_firmware() calls for the tda1004x driver. As far as I can see, its
impossible right now.

The problem is you have to pass a struct device* into request_firmware() to
tell the kernel which device you are. Frontend drivers have no idea of which
physical device they are attached to.

As far as I can see, the only way to do it would be to modify the struct
dvb_adapter to either contain the struct device*, or to add a callback
function to load the firmware to it.

My favoured solution is the struct device* one... that would mean frontends
could also determine the PCI/USB device IDs of the device they're attached
to... say two different manufacturers use the same frontend chip, but it
needs to be configured differently for their devices, this could be handled
easily.

What do people think? Or have I missed something glaringly obvious? (I know
the av7110 code uses the request_firmware function, but it knows its PCI
device)